Requirements to Buy Agricultural Land in Karnataka

Agricultural land can be bought in Karnataka after fulfilling certain requirements.

These include:

The annual average income of the person including agricultural income should be less than Rs 2 lakhs.

The person must have had an agricultural land in his name before the year 1974. The person should be an agriculturist or an agricultural worker by profession.

As per Section 79A of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act 1961, the non-agricultural income of a purchaser who must be an agriculturist should not exceed Rs 2 lakhs per year. Sale of land granted to members of scheduled caste and tribe is not allowed. Also, sale of land granted by the government is not allowed for a period of 15 years. Agricultural land can be used only for agricultural purposes and no other purposes. Utilising agricultural land for any other purpose is prohibited by law. Agricultural land, which does not come under the Green Belt, can be converted for non-agricultural purposes like residential, commercial, industrial etc, subject to the approval of the Special Deputy Commissioner on payment of the prescribed fees and subject to certain conditions.

To purchase agricultural lands, these documents need to be produced:

Form No 1

Vendor's Pani, mutation Purchaser's pani

Survey map of the land to be sold, certified by the Survey Department. Survey number means a portion of land, the area and assessment of which are separately entered under an indicative number in land records. Sub-division of survey number means a portion of survey number, the area and assessment of which are separately entered in land records under an indicative number subordinate to the survey number, of which it is a portion. This is also called 'hissa number'. Survey mark means any mark or object employed to indicate the boundaries of the property


No objection certificate from the Tahsildar

Government permission in specified cases (like purchase of agricultural lands by people other than agriculturists and agricultural workers)

J Form

RTC, i.e., record of right, tenancy and inspection of crops. This is a primary record issued by the village accountant. It contains the details of survey number, total extent of the land, names of the owners and their extent of holding, persons in possession, details of crops grown, and land revenue for any particular period. It also contains the details of conversion of land from agricultural to non-agriculturalal

Mutation extract:

This is an extract from the mutation register maintained by the village accountant. It records the transfer of land and the mode of such transfer, recommendations of the enquiry officer for such transfer, and date of entry of transfer in the record of rights


This document is issued by the Survey Department. A tippani shows a sketch of the land as in the records of the Survey Department.


This document is also issued by the Survey Department. It establishes the survey number and to whom the particular survey number was originally allotted and the land revenue assessment details.

Section 79 A&B endorsements:

These are issued by the Tahsildar. These endorsements certify that there are no cases against the person owning the agricultural land, and whether he is an agriculturist or not, conforming to the prescriptions of Section 79 A&B of the Karnataka Land Reforms Act 1961 (since only agriculturists and agricultural workers whose average annual income is less than Rs 2 lakhs are entitled to own agricultural lands in Karnataka)

Form No 7 endorsement:

This is also issued by the Tahsildar. This endorsement certifies that there are no tenancy cases pending in respect of the property in question, as per the Karnataka Land Reforms Act 1961.

Saguvali Chit:

The Saguvali Chit is also called the certificate of grant. This is issued on Form No VII in case of grant of government land to eligible persons for cultivation. This establishes the title of the person named in the Saguvali Chit to the land granted. A sketch of the land granted will be annexed to the Saguvali Chit. The grant of the land is subject to the conditions detailed in the Saguvali Chit.

Patta Book:

This is a record given to a holder of agricultural land and includes tenants if he is primarily liable to pay land revenue. It contains a copy of the record of rights to the land. The book also contains information regarding the payment of land revenue and other government dues, and information of cultivation.



gbaliga said...

Sir, Can you elaborate the restrictions / extent to which construction is permitted non Agri Land in Karnataka, ie permitted construction on Agri Land. upto what percentage of land area can be used for construction of building .

Unknown said...

Dear Sir,
I have lands in my HUF and my Family income ( Including Husband, Wife ,Son & Daughter inlaw) is more than 25 lakhs. And i want to purchase more lands , so is it possible?
I am not sure about Income is calculated based on family income or Individual income.

Also tell me the possible ways to purchase lands.

Thanks in Advance.

Post a Comment